This recipe was part of the OTGF’s Urban Farm-a-licious Event, a collaboration between On the Ground Floor and Tested Tried and True.
These Buffalo Chicken Bites are fun twist on everyone’s favorite appetizer! These buffalo chicken meatballs are made with lean ground chicken and packed with fresh vegetables. There’s just enough blue cheese to get a delicious tang and it still brings the heat.
I’ve been making this recipe for a few years and it’s always a favorite. However, for this event we punched it up a notch by presenting it on a skewer with celery and baby carrots. This seemed to balance out the flavors even more.
And for those of you who suffer through football season like me (only 5 weeks of freedom left) this is a great distraction during the game.
Buffalo Chicken Bites
These Buffalo Chicken Bites are fun twist on everyone favorite appetizer! These buffalo chicken meatballs are made with lean ground chicken and packed with fresh vegetables. There’s just enough blue cheese to get a delicious tang and it still brings the heat.
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 carrot
- 14 baby carrots
- 8 stalks celery
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup of your favorite hot sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 28 skewers
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and coat with nonstick spray.
- Cut the 1 stalk of celery, the carrot and green onion into large chunks and throw into a food processor.
- Pulse to chop into small bits.
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetable mixture, chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, 1/2 the hot sauce and the blue cheese.
- Gently fold together to combine, but don't overmix.
- Form the mixture into small meatballs - you should get about 28 small meatballs.
- Place the meatballs on the cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes
- While the meatballs are baking, cut the 14 baby carrots in half and the remaining celery stalks into 4 parts. Set aside.
- Put the rest of the hot sauce and the butter into a microwave safe dish and microwave about 30 seconds, until butter melts.
- Stir well to combine.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Dip each meatball into the buffalo sauce to cover.
- To assemble the skewers, start with half a baby carrot (be careful to not stab yourself), a piece of celery, and finish with meatball.
Adapted from The Shrinking Kitchen
Tested Tried and True http://testedtriedandtrue.com/